27 February 2007

Liferea & GNOME

During several code reorganisations for the slowly progressing sqlite support I thought a lot over the ugly things in Liferea (podcast support, media playback, own network code, proxy preference) and ways to overcome them. One conclusion was that one reason for those quality problems is the missing platform. Its hard to admit but Liferea's platform SW stack is to small.

Examples for this is the need for high-level rendering provided by libxul while at the same moment implementing own networking. Or of searching for a way to play podcasts and use the ugly solution of a Flash plugin.

The topic of using GNOME was discussed on the list some times and I usually argumented with high efforts and massive dependencies. I now think at least the first point is incorrect and the other point might have lost its strength because I believe most users running Liferea along with a GNOME installation.

So should Liferea move to GNOME? Are there more benefits than repelled users? What do you think?

To get more opinions on those questions I did ask for advice on gnome-list@gnome.org. If you are involved with GNOME and use Liferea please join the discussion there!

10 comments:

Kurt McKee said...

I would very much like to see Liferea become integrated with Gnome. (Sorry for not posting to the Gnome mailing list - this is easier.)

Tsukasa said...

I agree with Kurt.
If this could resolve some issues or conceptional shortcomings (as you mentioned: the XSPF player is a prominent example) I'd be glad for a more integrated version.

Allan said...

I'd be happy to see Liferea move to a Gnome platform.

Anonymous said...

Most programs I use have dependencies in common with GNOME and I don't mind having to install these dependencies to use Liferea, especially when they can provide excellent additions (such as multimedia and networking), but I wouldn't want to have to install the entire GNOME DE just to be able to use Liferea. Several years ago I remembered using a program which was similar to download accelerator, but I had to switch because now it is so integrated with a DE that it installs multimedia dependencies even though its primary purpose is just to be a download accelerator! There's no need to reinvent the wheel in attaching GNOME dependencies, but I hope you would aim a balance between being a total DE independence and total DE dependence.

Anonymous said...

I'm using liferea under openbox. The current gconf dependency is okay but if gnome dependencies become to heavy I will have to use another feedreader. So please think about every additional dependency whether it is really necessary.

Anonymous said...

I'm beginning to use Xfce (Xubuntu), and working out what applications to use for this and that. Liferea looks pretty attractive, but I'm working on low-end machines and I really really want to keep GNOME dependencies to a minumum. So I hope that you don't end up going this route.

Anonymous said...

I use KDE for my desktop environment, but as I use various GNOME apps already I don't see any problems to Gnofiy Liferea.
I think it is important not to loose KDE users, but you might need to describe in more detail which libraries you will use.

JP

Anonymous said...

IMO, it depends what do you mean by "moving to gnome"
If it's replacing your own network code by gnet, I totally agree
If you want to add optional features like gnome-keyring support or podcast support, I don't mind.
If you want to make libbonobo, libbonoboui, liborbit, libgnome, libgnomeui & a thousand of other gnome libs mandatory just for having sexy but obviously useless features (for a feed reader), I'll definitely abandon newer versions of liferea

Anonymous said...

and support for network-manager (for online/offline) would be cool

Lars said...

There is already support for NetworkManager. Please have a look at your compile options!